September is Hunger Action Month, a national campaign to raise awareness about the issue of hunger. 1 in 5 children and 1 in 8 adults are food insecure in Washington state. No one should have to go hungry.
Hunger Action Month reminds us that there are people who need help and that there is more than enough food in this country for everyone to eat. It’s easy to participate in Hunger Action Month! Here are a few tips to take ACTION and raise awareness:
- Pass the Plate: Grab a paper plate and write what you can’t do on an empty stomach. Rally your friends and family, heck – get the whole office involved! Then post to social media with a message about how you can help end hunger in your community. #HungerActionMonth
- Update your social media cover photo using this handy image! Click here.
- Orange is the color of hunger awareness. Why not add an orange frame to your Facebook profile picture to show your support? Navigate to your profile, hover over your profile picture and click “update,” click “add frame,” search “orange,” then select from a wide variety of orange frames to apply to your picture for the month of September!
- Feel free to use these images on your social channels to help raise awareness. Image #1 Image #2
- Print out these flyers and post them around your office, school, or place of worship to raise awareness for the issue of hunger.
- Register for a volunteer session! Help us sort and pack food to send off to 300 food banks, meal programs, and shelters across Western Washington.
- Sign our petition to end child hunger! It’s so easy and literally takes two minutes. Our goal is to get 10,000 signatures by the end of the month.
- Donate! For every $1 you donate, we can create the equivalent of 4 meals for people experiencing hunger. That’s enough for a family dinner.
- Start a food drive! Food and fund drives are always welcome and make a world of difference in the lives of our neighbors facing hunger.