You may remember this sneak peek into the Child Nutrition Reauthorization (CNR) from last year. If so, congrats, your memory rocks. If not, here is a quick refresher on the things this bill will cover and how you can help.
- Child Nutrition covers a wide range of programs including school lunches & breakfasts, child care, summer meals, WIC, farmer’s market programs and more.
- It comes up for reauthorization by Congress every 5 years.
In other words, this bill has a huge impact on the lives of millions of children across the country. This is where you come in. On September 30, the current bill will expire and we need your help to convince Congress to get to work and pass a strong child nutrition bill.
On June 23rd, join people from across the country and call your congressional representative. Calling Congress is easy. Here’s how:
- Just dial Feeding America’s toll free number, (888) 398-8702, listen to the pre-recorded message and enter your zip code when prompted.
- Connect to your House member first.
- Once you are connected, state that you are a constituent, and give your name and the town you are calling from.
- Let them know you are calling about Child Nutrition Reauthorization and deliver this important message:
I am your constituent and I’m calling about Child Nutrition Reauthorization. Too many kids in our community are not getting the food they need, particularly during the summer months when school is out. As my Member of Congress, you can do something about it. I urge you to pass a strong child nutrition bill that provides more options to get food to kids that need our help by providing flexibility in operating the Summer Food Service Program and streamlining program requirements for providers that operate both afterschool and summer meal programs.
Be sure to dial back in and speak with both of your senators as well.